Dementia is a delicate short-term or sometimes, long-term memory loss condition. A dementia patient is liable to lose its ability relevant to judgment, reasoning, behavior, language, and other mental activities. Defining simple, dementia is a condition where one can easily forget about things, incidents or elements, whether significant or insignificant for our life. Sources and researches reveal that dementia is nearly incurable. However, it can be controlled to a certain level through some effective steps. These steps consume mental energy to help it function properly.
Various activities limits dementia to a certain level. One of these activities include solving puzzles. Solving puzzles boosts and increments the mental ability and protects the mind from dementia and similar age-related mental disorders. While solving puzzles, our entire brain including its nerves is involved. Eventually, solving puzzles provides comfort and potentially stimulates the brain making it active. Thus, the performance of our spatial, visual and cognitive abilities are improved. Playing puzzles is a kind of mental exercise. Also, it evaporate out the stress and a great meditation process for the brain. They act as a tranquilizer.
In this article, we shall learn about some of the Best puzzles for Dementia patients that must be practiced to keep this disorder (dementia) away. Let’s have a look:
- 48-piece puzzles:48-piece puzzles is a simple, yet smart way of stimulating the brain and its senses. It enhances brain performance and inculcates active sensation in the brain. 48-piece puzzle is highly productive for those who are in their early stage of dementia. It almost prevent it (dementia) to extend and almost cures the said disorder. It will be better if the puzzle contains important elements related to the patient like the face of relatives and acquaintances, names of the different people, residential address and so on.
- Four-piece puzzles: Four-piece puzzles are another efficient puzzles for dementia patients. It improves the patient’s cognitive skills, the problem-solving capacity of his/her mind, social behavior; provides a better hand and eye coordination, fine motor development; and; eventually, renders bonafide self-esteem and confidence. All these form a robust barrier against dementia. While solving a puzzle, a core connection is established between the brain cells. This speeds up the performance and efficacy and proves beneficial in treating short-term memory issues.
- Jigsaw puzzles: A jigsaw puzzle consists of various small individual pieces that need to be attached perfectly. While solving a jigsaw puzzle, you have to pick the right pieces to fit into the right place. This tends both left and right side of your brain to act actively. The left brain is logical and acts in a linear model and the right brain is creative and intuitive. At the same time, the whole procedure improves your visual abilities, improves coordination and memory, leverage creativity, develops critical thinking and stimulates the overall brain function. It also increases dopamine production in the brain. Dopamine plays a crucial role in carrying various executive functions such as motor control, motivation, arousal, reinforcement, and reward, along with lower-level functions like lactation, sexual gratification, and nausea.
- Sudoku: Playing Sudoku helps in preventing the memory loss caused due to increasing age, or dementia. Playing Sudoku activates the synapses of the whole brain and stimulates the hippocampus. Hippocampus is the memory building zone of the brain. Researches reveal that the regular practice of Sudoku enhances the production of acetylcholine, the effective neurotransmitter required for learning and memory functions. It also supports the process of neuroplasticity. As an outcome, the patient will experience a better memorizing ability, even at an elderly age.
- Crosswords: Crosswords are creative way of improving brain function and memory. It keeps your mind protected from dementia. It improves brain IQ too. At the same time, it strongly acts as the antioxidant to your brain and substantially keeps it young and smart. It lets your memory part of the brain to reinforce and recollect the stuffs that you may have learned in the past. However, if you haven’t learned anything, it prevails the curiosity inside the brain cells to explore and know about the same. This curious feeling is highly essential for better mental development.
As we all know that “Practice makes a man perfect”. Thus, try to practice or play these witty puzzles to keep yourself always young and sharp by the mind. Apart from playing puzzles, there are different other organizational activities too that help you to remain aloof from dementia. These activities include cooking, baking, painting, knitting, sewing, crafting something creative, (like pottery, making beautiful gifting stuffs and so on), reading books, watching entertaining stuff and a lot more. In short, doing anything that is productive and keeps your mind working and engaged organizationally, helps you to fight against dementia or prevent dementia.